• Passionate about engineering?
• Wanting to improve and showcase your public speaking abilities?
• Wanting to build your technical communication skills?
• Interested in winning a gift card prize?
If you answered "yes" to these questions, then you should consider entering in the Engineering Ambassadors' Annual Speaking Competition!
The annual Engineering Speaking Competition seeks to recognize University of Illinois STEM students who are excellent technical communicators. By recognizing these students in a public competition, Engineering Ambassadors seeks to show that University of Illinois students defy the stereotypes that engineering and science majors are poor communicators. The competition will be held on Saturday, April 13th.
• Sunday, March 31st at 11:59 PM: Applications are due. This is just to get a general idea of what your speech will be about. Don't be nervous about this though as we aren't looking for perfect speakers, just those who show enthusiasm and passion!
• Monday, April 8th: Finalists are required to attend a workshop where they will hone their speaking and presentation skills with the help of trained Engineering Ambassadors. (If this date doesn't work for you, please apply anyway, we want to have as many people participate as possible and we'll find a way to get you involved!)
• Saturday, April 13th: Speaking Competition for the finalists done in-person. Location TBA!
Submit the application below describing your talk and relating to the following prompt:
“What recent scientific advancements are expanding our abilities to solve complex problems?"
Speak about important new innovations in science/engineering (as a field, specific technology, or recent research). Talk about the specific ways that these advancements are capable of solving diverse problems faced by specific populations. Don't just tell us what cool new thing is happening, tell us why we should care!